IMS 2020 Roadmap
The IMS2020 Roadmap shows a realistic and desirable future for manufacturing which can be achieved if the identified research topics and their supporting actions are put in place through international collaboration. Within the current global manufacturing context, the transformation process - that requires technological innovation as a core aspect - is influenced by other factors such as economic, social and environmental that refer to sustainability perspective.
The IMS2020 research actions, which cluster research topics, frame future technology development with regard to three important aspects of manufacturing: the economy with market and consumers’ implications; environment with environmental issues; society with political and ethical implications. The main areas of research action are:
1. Technologies for Sustainability: Holistic view of product cycles in the manufacturing industry and life-cycle-optimization of manufacturing systems, products and services
2. Scarce Resources Management: Material reuse optimization, reducing global consumption of engineering materials (i.e. hydrocarbon fuels; metals and polymers)
3. Sustainable Lifecycle of Products and Production systems: Performance and Quality of products, services and processes, and safety of people, but also of the related facilities and infrastructure
4. Sustainable Product and Production: Contribution towards the modernization of industry by improving the quality of product information and ease of access to information at the design, production, utilization and end of life stages
5. Sustainable Businesses: Managing all the conflicting aspects of sustainability in an integrated manner, focusing not only on environmental or social performances but also on sustainability of business